Did you know…
- Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) is Islamic;
- that Islam is the only religion whose sacred texts mention FGM;
- Mohammed approved of FGM;
- Mohammmed’s wives, friends and companions openly engaged in FGM;
- no school of Islam does otherwise than allow, recommend, or mandate FGM;
- the global distributions of FGM and of Islam closely coincide. And where Islam spreads, so does FGM, migrating Moslems bringing FGM to previously unaffected countries;
- Islam not only favours FGM but also reproduces the social conditions that cause FGM;
- Islam creates sexually violent societies, which put the reputation and ‘purity’ of girls and women at heightened risk;
- FGM is one of a range of Chastity Assurance practices that safeguard the reputation ‘purity’ and reputation of girls and women (other Chastity Assurance practices include child marriage, arranged marriages, brideprice, veiling, gender segregation, chaperoning, ‘honour’ culture, footbinding and harems);
- suffering and trauma are not unfortunate by-products of FGM, but are essential parts of the procedure, being used to breakdown the child’s personhood and render her submissive to her family and community, and the Islamic god.
Welcome to FGMTruth – an extended investigation into the nature and origins of FGM.
This investigation has become necessary because the facts and truth concerning FGM have become taboo in mainstream discourse. They have been replaced with obfuscation and blind-eye-turning, with wishful thinking and narratives dictated by expediency and political correctness .
FGMTruth aspires to investigate and understand FGM in a manner unaffected by the biases vitiating the mainstream discourse.
There are two condensed versions of the investigation – a 15-minute read if want the essentials, and a 45-minute read if you want more depth and detail. The site also contains other resources that contribute towards a better understanding of FGM.
We welcome and will address all questions, contributions and comments – including criticism – provided they are courteous and in good faith.
If you wish to be notified whenever a new chapter is published you will find ways of following this blog at the bottom of the page.
Chapters published so far
The Correlates of FGM
Religious Doctrine & FGM
Modern Islam & FGM
FGM and the Schools of Islam
Fatwas by Classical Scholars Favourable to FGM
Modern Fatwas Favourable to FGM – a Chronological Inventory
Modern Fatwas Favourable to FGM – an Analysis
Fatwas Critical of FGM
FGM Before Islam
Gerry Mackie’s ‘Convention Hypothesis’ of FGM
Evaluating Mackie’s Hypothesis
Social Conditions Favourable to FGM
The True Functions of FGM
The Origins, Spread & Persistence of FGM: Towards a Comprehensive Theory of FGM
Arguments De-linking FGM & Islam:
FGM Is Not Required by Islam
There Is No FGM in the Qur’an
FGM Existed Before Islam
FGM Is an African Practice
Christians Practice FGM Too
Not All Muslims Practice FGM
The FGM Hadith Are Weak
The Koran Forbids Mutilation
‘Circumcision’ is not Mutilation
There Is No Record of Muhammad Having His Wives or Daughters Circumcised
Mohammed Wanted to Forbid FGM but Couldn’t
The Labiaplasty Equivalence
“Delinking Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting from Islam” – a Response
“Delinking Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting from Islam” – A Response – part 1
“Delinking Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting from Islam” – A Response – part 2
“Delinking Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting from Islam” – A Response – part 3
“Delinking Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting from Islam” – A Response – part 4
“Delinking Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting from Islam” – A Response – part 5
“Delinking Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting from Islam” – A Response – Concluding Thoughts